A man allegedly brandished a suspected gun towards his father and threatened to shoot him at a family gathering, the High Court heard today.
Prosecutors claimed Adam Jordan also spoke about getting loyalist paramilitaries to carry out the shooting.
The 37-year-old, of Alexander Park in Upperlands, Co Derry, denies charges of threats to kill, common assault and possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.
Read more: Belfast woman's "lost luggage" yet to be returned from before Christmas
He was granted bail but barred from going near where his father lives.
Jordan is accused of becoming aggressive after arriving at his grandmother’s home in the Moneymore area on December 21 last year.
He made a clenched fist gesture towards his father’s face amid ongoing “disharmony” between the pair, according to the prosecution.
Crown counsel Mark Farrell claimed Jordan then allegedly stepped back and produced what was believed to be a handgun from his waist.
“It’s alleged that the gun was placed to the side of [his father’s] face and that the applicant said ‘I will f****** shoot you’,” the barrister submitted.
The defendant left the scene but was arrested later on Main Street in Moneymore.
Mr Farrell disclosed a further alleged “sinister” incident after Jordan was taken to a PSNI station.
“He stated to police that he would get the UVF to shoot his father, that was overheard and recorded,” counsel added.
Despite police searches, no weapon has been recovered at this stage.
The firearm allegedly brandished is believed to have been either an imitation or a BB-type gun, the court heard.
Jordan told police he was not carrying a firearm when he went to his grandmother’s house to give her a Christmas card.
Describing the allegations as “outlandish”, defence barrister Craig Patton stressed his client completely denies having any type of gun.
“Police searched his house, no firearm was found and no firearm will be found,” the lawyer submitted.
Mr Patton also disputed claims that Jordan disclosed an intention to involve paramilitaries, arguing that any comments were due to his “frustration at the ludicrous allegations made against him”.
Granting bail, Lord Justice Treacy prohibited the accused from contacting his father.
Read next:
Investigation launched to establish links to a number of break-ins in Ballymena
Antrim woman diagnosed with glaucoma at 39 on finding positivity again
60% of MLA staff recruited since NI Assembly election are party members
East Belfast man on how exercise 'saved him' and why it's never too late to embrace fitness
For all the latest news, visit the Belfast Live homepage here. To sign up to our FREE newsletters, see here.