Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Toby Vue

Man admits attempted robbery that left victim suffering gunshot wound

Heavily armed tactical police at the scene in August 2021. Picture: Karleen Minney

An accused has admitted to an attempted robbery with a weapon that left a 56-year-old man, who was with his companion dog at the time, shot and hospitalised.

Kasey Tyson King, in his early 20s, appeared in the ACT Supreme Court on Thursday when he pleaded guilty to attempted robbery while armed with an offensive weapon.

While the facts have not been finalised and tendered, ACT Policing previously said they believed the victim was shot with a gun as King tried to steal a car at the Abode Hotel in Belconnen on August 18 last year.

Police last September said that the victim, unknown to King, was with his companion dog and heading for his carer's vehicle.

Detective Superintendent Scott Moller told media that the victim had suffered a single gunshot wound to the left leg and had recently been discharged from hospital following two significant surgeries.

King, of McKellar, was already behind bars on remand when he was charged, having been arrested in Queanbeyan the day after the shooting over his alleged involvement in a cross-border police pursuit and other offences.

Justice Michael Elkaim on Thursday ordered a pre-sentence report, with the matter being listed in the registrar's list on April 28.

King did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.