Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National

Man, 66, arrested over child sex offences

Police have arrested a 66-year-old man over alleged child sex offences.

The Franklin resident fronted the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

He was charged with possessing child abuse material on his computer, and accessing child abuse material.

He did not enter pleas or apply for bail, and prosecutors said he already had existing charges before the court.

In a statement on Wednesday afternoon, police said they arrested the man earlier in the day following an investigation by the ACT Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team.

They said officers executed a search warrant at the 66-year-old's residence, and seized a mobile phone that allegedly contained child abuse material.

Special Magistrate Margaret Hunter formally refused the man bail, and said he would next appear in court on December 10.

Police arrested a 66-year-old Franklin man on Wednesday morning. Picture: Rohan Thomson
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.