A murder investigation has been launched after a 25-year-old man was fatally stabbed in north London.
Police and paramedics were called just before 9.30pm on Tuesday to reports of a stabbing in Tufnell Park.
They could not save the victim, who was pronounced dead 40 minutes later.
Formal identification has yet to take place, but the man’s next of kin have been informed, the Metropolitan police said.
A nearby road was cordoned off on Tuesday night as police searched the area with sniffer dogs.
Stabbing in Brecknock Road tonight believed to be serious. Waiting for update on victim’s condition. Police now sweeping the scene with sniffer dog. pic.twitter.com/L6vIlIMusT
— Billy McLennan (@williammclennan) September 18, 2018
Detectives from Scotland Yard’s homicide and major crime command are investigating. No arrests have been made.
The Met said: “Extra police will be in the area and a number of inquiries, including the recovery of local CCTV footage, forensic analysis and appeals for information from the public, are ongoing.”
Last month, the Met announced its 100th homicide investigation so far this year.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The incident occurred as the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, launched a violence reduction unit, which aims to treat knife crime as a public health problem, along the lines of a successful scheme in Glasgow.
Announcing the plan on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Khan said the unit would “deal with violent crime like an infectious disease. Stop the infection, stop it spreading and deal with the causes.”