Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Economic Times
The Economic Times

Maldives scuba diving accident latest update: When will bodies of Italian scuba divers be recovered? All details here

Three Finnish cave divers are ​joining efforts in ​the Maldives on Monday to try ​to find and recover the bodies of four Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater ‌caves, ⁠the DAN ⁠Europe divers' network said. The team arrived on Sunday, ​DAN Europe said in a statement, after the incident in ​the Vaavu Atoll, where the Italian divers had been exploring caves at a depth ​of 50 metres (165 feet) on Thursday.

The ⁠body of ‌one of the Italian ​divers ​was recovered on Friday, the Maldives National ⁠Defence Force (MNDF) said in a statement on ​Friday.

"The body was recovered from about ​60 metres deep from inside a cave structure. It is assumed that the rest of the divers would also be inside this cave which is about 200 ‌feet in length," the statement said.

The Finnish divers -- Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund ​and Patrik Grönqvist -- ​will work ⁠with the MNDF and other officials.

A MNDF diver taking part in the search, Sergeant-major Mohamed Mahudhee, ​died on Saturday from decompression illness, prompting the MNDF to temporarily suspend the recovery effort which has been taking place in rough weather and sea conditions.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.