Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
George Morgan

Major fire that shut entire island 'caused by council work'

A major fire that closed a popular Merseyside beauty spot was likely caused by materials left there by the council workers, it has been claimed.

Pat Cleary, leader of the Greens on Wirral Council, believes Friday’s fire on Hilbre Island was caused by expanding foam used to support a damaged cliff.

Emergency services were called to the scene after smoke was seen billowing out of a cave at around 7.30pm.

The beauty spot, just off West Kirby, is very popular with tourists, but Friday evening’s fire caused the site to be closed throughout the bank holiday weekend.

Smoke from the Hilbre Island cave fire could be seen across Merseyside (Steve Williams)

The fire followed reports and images of building materials strewn across the island.

Wirral Coastguard Rescue Team confirmed that although the fire has been put out “significant public risk still remains due to the instability of the cave and the cliff.”

But writing today in the Wirral Globe, Cllr Cleary said: “Not only did a lot of the foam pumped into the cave last week promptly end up in the sea, but now the rest of it has burnt, producing thick black smoke and fumes which were still drifting out of the cave two days later.

“Following the dreadful pollution of the local area, the subsequent fire at Hilbre Island over the weekend is further evidence that current arrangements are not fit for purpose.

“The public needs to be reassured that this will change and recent events cannot happen.”

On identifying the cause of the fire, a council spokesperson said: “Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service are working to identify the cause of the fire – we are fully supporting their investigation which I am advised may take a little time.”

The authority did not respond directly to Cllr Cleary's allegations.

Hilbre Island is to be reopened on Saturday, providing any risk to the public no longer exists.

Visitors can still make the trip to Middle Eye and Little Eye, smaller neighbouring islands, as they are still accessible.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.