Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
Sport
Gavin Quinn

Major blow for Irish horse racing as planned return date announced

Horse Racing Ireland are now planning for racing to return from June 29 after week-long meetings with government officials.

With racecourses closed since March 24, the HRI have been told restarting meetings behind-closed-doors will only be possible when it's safe to do so.

The move would be part of the third stage of the government’s five-phase ‘Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business’ after the coronavirus pandemic.

The news will come as a major setback to the industry, but the HRI still hold out hope that an earlier date can be achieved.

In a statement, the HRI said: "Horse Racing Ireland (HRI) reported today that work is ongoing with Government officials around an appropriate date for the resumption of racing in Ireland, as confirmation came from the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine that June 29th was the date outlined for racing to return behind closed doors.

"In publishing the roadmap last week, the Government stated an appetite to engage and consult with sectors on possible changes to the timings in the plan, and Horse Racing Ireland has been fully engaged in that process this week.

"In addition, the Taoiseach stated in the Dail earlier today that the Government would examine proposals from sectors of the economy wishing to have restrictions lifted earlier than scheduled in the Government’s roadmap, and HRI is availing of this offer."

Horse Racing Ireland Chief Executive Brian Kavanagh (©INPHO/Morgan Treacy)

CEO Brian Kavanagh added: “Horse Racing Ireland and the Irish racing community are fully supportive of the Government and the Chief Medical Officer for the way in which they have handled this unprecedented public health emergency.
 
“Through the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine there has been constructive engagement with various Government departments this week on the basis that racing will only resume behind closed doors when it is deemed safe and appropriate.
 
“Prior to March 24, race fixtures were among the last group of Tier 2 commercial activities to continue with ten fixtures staged safely behind closed doors with only key personnel permitted on site.

"Horse Racing Ireland’s Covid-19 protocols which were in place for those fixtures have been further strengthened in the meantime and we feel that the industry can safely resume sooner rather than later and will continue to engage with Government on that basis.”

Elsewhere, racing has already returned in France and Germany and the UK are reported to be working towards a return later this month.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.