Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Times of India
The Times of India
National
Ramendra Singh | TNN

Madhya Pradesh mulls 100% strength in schools after Diwali

BHOPAL: The Madhya Pradesh school education department is mulling 100% attendance in schools after the festive season, say sources. The decision is likely to be taken after Diwali. Parents’ consent will still be mandatory.

Parents are alarmed at the prospect of schools reopening full-strength, pointing out that Covid cases are inching up and fearing that the post-festive period may see a surge, just like last year. On the other hand, there has been no noticeable spike in Covid infections among children since schools reopened at 50% capacity — classes 1-5 since September 15 and the higher classes since July-August. There have been a couple of cases in Chhatarpur district, leading to shutdown of schools for 10 days.

Most parents have refused to send children for physical classes. Attendance barely touches double digits. At best, it touches 15%, say sources.

Sources said the government is keeping a close watch on Covid cases and a decision to allow 100% attendance will be taken only if the situation allows. Several private schools, meanwhile, have begun telling parents and children that they will have physical classes “in a few days”.

“If all goes well, the department may allow schools to run full-strength from classes 1 to 12,” said an official, adding that parents’ consent will be a must.

Parents who have been opposing even the reopening of primary classes vehemently object to such a move.

Schoolteacher tests positive

A teacher in a government school in Chhatarpur district tested positive for Covid on Saturday. The administration will decide on Sunday whether to shut down the school for a few days as a precaution. Covid test samples have been taken from 50 students of the school. Barely 10 days ago, a seven-year-old child tested positive in the same district, leading to a 10-day shutdown of his school.

Parents question ‘hurry’ in reopening

This will be a disaster. Already there is huge pressure on parents after the state government allowed schools to reopen campuses. Allowing schools to run at 100% attendance will put students in peril,” said Avinash Singh, whose child is in class 1. Parents wonder what was the hurry to reopen schools for even primary classes when online classes and exams are running smoothly.

“We are lucky that we haven’t yet seen Covid cases in schools. Who will be responsible if a child is infected when we send them to school? Online classes are running without any hiccups and both teachers and students are happy with the new norm, as it is safe,” said Mukesh Saxena, the father of a student in class 4

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.