Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
World
Martin Fricker

Madeleine McCann prime suspect named as 'known paedophile' by cops

A known paedophile has been named by UK police as the prime suspect in the Madeleine McCann case, it was claimed yesterday.

Portuguese officers are said to be “nearer” to cracking the case after British officers tipped them off about a “foreign man” who was prowling the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz when the three-year-old vanished on May 3, 2007.

It was reported that the suspect has previously been investigated over paedophile cases – but not Madeleine’s disappearance.

Respected news website Expresso said the Policia Judiciaria (PJ) are now investigating his movements.

Madeleine McCann vanished from a holiday apartment in Portugal in 2007 (PA)

Duncan Bannatyne says Madeleine McCann cops should not be given more taxpayer’s money for search  

The suspect’s name and ­nationality remain a secret. It’s not clear if his whereabouts are known or even if he is still alive.

Expresso, citing a Portuguese judicial source, claimed Scotland Yard “recently” sent the tip to police in Porto.

It added: “According to the source, it relates to a complaint made about a foreigner who was in Portugal in May 2007.

“The suspect is no stranger to Portuguese police. At the time, the PJ investigated him on suspicion of being involved in cases of paedophilia.

"But in light of the information coming from London, the investigators are looking into this case in more detail.”

The source told the website: “This is a line of investigation that is still open. Like others.”

Both the Policia Judiciaria and Scotland Yard refused to comment on the development, first revealed in Portugal’s Correio da Manha. The newspaper reported: “Police are following new Maddie kidnap clues. More inspectors are advancing with an investigation into a new suspect.

“A new clue and a new suspect, which the PJ are trying to keep an absolute secret, has led to new resources being put in place to investigate the little girl’s whereabouts.”

The paper claimed police “admit to being nearer to knowing what happened to Madeleine”.

It also reported that prosecutors have “sealed” the fresh secret information because it is an “active line of investigation”.

Portuguese detectives are said to have already spoken to witnesses who could help in connection with the new lead.

Police still insist that finding Madeleine is their priority.

She disappeared from the family’s holiday apartment in Praia da Luz days before her fourth birthday.

Her parents, Kate and Gerry, left her alone with her younger twin siblings while they ate in a nearby tapas bar with friends.

The Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz where Madeleine McCann went missing (Daily Mirror)

Madeleine McCann cops have 'new kidnap suspect' on 12th anniversary of disappearance  

Madeleine’s kidnapping from the Ocean Club was the subject of a recent Netflix documentary. One possible suspect in the abduction is a predator who was active in the Praia da Luz area in 2007.

It was previously reported that he entered properties rented by British holidaymakers, including families with young children.

In one case, a girl woke up and asked: “Is that you, daddy?”

The intruder replied in a foreign accent: “Yes.”

Scotland Yard has a small team still working on Operation Grange, which was launched in 2013.

Last month, it asked the Home Office for extra funding so it can continue the probe for another six months.

More than 60 persons of interest have been investigated as possible suspects.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.