Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Martin Fricker & Sarah Vesty

Madeleine McCann investigators claim case ‘could be solved within months’

A German prosecutor leading the investigation into the key suspect in the Madeleine McCann disappearance case believes it ‘could be solved in months’.

Hans Christian Walters has said they have received some “very interesting tips” over the last year as they appealed for witnesses to come forward.

Convicted paedophile Christian Brueckner has yet to be questioned by prosecutors with the interview due to take place at the end of the investigation, the Mirror reports.

In the latest update, Mr Walters said: “We hope we can solve the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, although this will take several months.

“We are pleased with the response to our appeal for witnesses. But ­unfortunately not all our questions have been answered.”

Madeleine McCann who disappeared in Praia da Luz, Portugal on May 3, 2007 (Getty)

Asked about the Brueckner interview, he added: “At the end of the ­investigation.

“When we have completed our investigations, we will inform the public about the result and then also about further details.”

Convicted paedophile Brueckner was living in a camper van close to Praia da Luz on the Algarve when Madeleine disappeared in May 2007, shortly before her fourth birthday.

Christian Brueckner is serving a seven-year sentence in a German jail for raping a pensioner in Praia da Luz (ITALIAN CARABINIERI PRESS OFFICE/Getty)

German and UK police first became aware of him as a suspect in 2017 but only went public with the information last June.

Since then senior investigators have interviewed a string of potential key witnesses in Germany and Portugal.

They include Brueckner’s British ex-girlfriend, who claims he brutally attacked her.

The German denies being involved in Madeleine’s disappearance and has refused to speak to police or prosecutors.

Investigators revealed last year that his mobile phone “pinged” close to the resort on the night she vanished while parents Kate and Gerry were having tapas nearby with friends.

Mr Wolters, who believes Madeleine is dead, said his team have still not tracked down the mystery person who Brueckner rang on the same night.

He also revealed authorities have not spoken to Kate and Gerry, of Rothley, Leics, about the case. They refuse to give up hope that their daughter is alive.

Former pals of Brueckner told the Mirror last week they fear he will never be charged. One said: “It’s crazy that the German cops haven’t even been to see Chris in prison or interviewed him.

“We’re scared he’ll never face justice and could then come back here.”

And former Scotland Yard detective chief inspector Peter Kirkham said he believes the inquiry is “rapidly drying up”.

Brueckner is serving a seven-year sentence in a German jail for raping a pensioner in Praia da Luz. He is being investigated for allegedly exposing himself to kids in an Algarve playground.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here .

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.