Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
World
Barney Davis

M25 Protest: Insulate Britain vicars block motorway for seventh time despite injunction threat

Insulate Britain has again defied an injunction to bring traffic to a halt on the M25 for the seventh time.

Eleven activists were arrested on Wednesday morning, including reverends in dog collars, after causing chaos on the London orbital at Junction 3 with Swanley.

Lorries were seen in tailback traffic after the group dodged police to form a human roadblock at the roundabout.

The group said all 11 members had been arrested within the hour but had more protests planned.

Kent Police said: “The Swanley Interchange roundabout at J3 of the M25 has now reopened following an earlier protest, which has resulted in us arresting 11 people. Delays remain in the area whilst the backlog of traffic clears. Thank you for your patience.”

Vicars were seen kneeling in front of traffic including Reverend Tim Hewes (third right) (Insulate Britain)

Reverend Tim Hewes, 71, amongst those pictured on Wednesday had been arrested and released after taking part in Monday’s Heathrow roadblock.

A spokesperson for Insulate Britain said on Wednesday: “We are going nowhere. You can raid our savings. You can confiscate our property.

“You can deny us our liberty and put us behind bars. But shooting the messenger can never destroy the message: that this country is going to hell unless you take emergency action to stop putting carbon into the air.

“Boris get on with the job.”

It comes as Kent Police revealed that just one person has been charged in connection with an earlier Insulate Britain protest, out of 96 arrests made by the force.

Vicars are seen sitting in the road (Insulate Britain)

The eco-activists claim only two people from Insulate Britain have so far been remanded in custody.

A total of 115 people have been involved in Insulate Britain’s campaign of disruptive actions over the last two weeks, with most being arrested multiple times.

The total arrest tally has now reached 438.

A Crown Prosecution Service spokesperson said: “Offences committed at a protest are often summary only and if the police have sufficient evidence they can charge those themselves.

“We have told police forces that we are ready to give early advice if they come to us.

“When the CPS does get involved we will not hesitate to charge protesters, as we have done in the past, if our legal test is met.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.