Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Business
Hazel Sheffield

M&S website taken down after shoppers’ details leaked

The Marks & Spencer website had to be taken down temporarily on Tuesday after some customers said they saw other people’s private details when they logged into the site.

Marks & Spencer said the security breach was due to a technical glitch and that there had been no third party attacks.

Customers’ full credit card details were not leaked, the company said. However it was unable to confirm how many customers had been affected.

Personal details such as names, dates of birth, contacts, and previous orders were leaked.

A spokesperson said the website was suspended between 6.30pm and 9pm while the breach was investigated.

"This allowed us to thoroughly investigate and resolve the issue and quickly restore service for our customers. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience caused,” the spokesperson said.

The British telecoms company TalkTalk also suffered a major security breach in October due to a DDoS cyber attack. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.