
A $1 million reward has been announced for information about a fatal fire at Sydney's Luna Park more than 40 years ago after allegations the blaze was deliberately lit and linked to an underworld figure.
Seven people including six boys were killed in the blaze while riding the theme park's ghost train on the evening of June 9, 1979.
John Godson and his two sons Damien, six, and Craig, four, plus mates Jonathan Billings, Richard Carroll, Michael Johnson, and Seamus Rahilly, aged 12 to 13, were killed in the fire.
Initial investigations pointed to an electrical fault and some subsequent inquiries proved inconclusive.
Since the airing of an ABC TV investigation into the fire, the NSW Coroner has announced it will consider holding a fresh inquest, asking NSW police to review their evidence.
The TV program alleged the fire was intentionally lit by associates of Sydney underworld boss Abe Saffron, in a bid to secure the prime waterfront property, and that police helped cover up the crime.
Mr Saffron, who died in 2006, owned hotels, nightclubs and was a property developer who was one of Sydney's major organised crime figures at the time of the fire.
Following the airing of the program, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said there was scope for the matter to be reviewed.
"We've heard the plight of families and I can confirm that relevant parts of the NSW government are considering that," the premier said last week.