Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Edinburgh Live
Edinburgh Live
National
Jennifer Hyland

Luke Mitchell documentary quickly removed after name seen on list of suspects

A TV show about the murder of Jodi Jones has been taken down by Channel 5 after a man’s name was seen on a list of suspects.

Two-part documentary Murder in a Small Town examined whether Luke Mitchell, who is serving a life sentence, was the real killer.

Programme makers suggested another five suspects could have been responsible for 14-year-old Jodi’s death.

Channel 5 removed the second part from its streaming platform after a complaint over the identity of a man being visible in one scene, it’s believed.

A witness has also complained to TV watchdogs Ofcom over comments made about him on the show last Wednesday, reports the Daily Record.

He claims a contributor’s remarks could lead viewers to believe he should have been a suspect.

Jodi’s body was found in woods in Dalkeith, Midlothian, in 2003. Her boyfriend Mitchell was jailed for a minimum of 20 years in 2005 for her murder.

In the show, ex-cops John Sallens and Michael Neill queried a lack of forensic evidence linking Mitchell to the crime.

The pair said they’d identified a prime suspect who they could not name for legal reasons. But a man’s name could be seen on a screen as the potential killer.

Our sister title the Sunday Mail also understands a complaint has been sent to Ofcom about references to another man on the show.

The man, who was a witness at Mitchell’s trial, believes the show unfairly implicated him and is considering legal action.

Killer Mitchell, now 32, has always claimed he is innocent – despite losing three appeals.

Channel 5 tweeted: “Episode two of Murder in a Small Town has had to be taken down temporarily but we’re expecting it to return to the platform.”

In response to the show, Police Scotland said they did not need to trace anyone else in connection with the murder.

Neill said: “Our part in this project finished last year. We have no input in what Channel 5 do with regards to airing the programme.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.