Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Beth Ann Nichols

LPGA postpones next three events, including ANA Inspiration

The LPGA has announced that the next three events on its 2020 schedule will be postponed until later in the season due to concerns over COVID-19.

The tour hasn’t held an event since the ISPS Handa Women’s Australian Open in mid-February. That’s now a total of six events that have not been staged.

Here’s the LPGA statement in full:

Today, the LPGA informed its players that in an effort to minimize risks with the global outbreak of COVID-19 and following the California Government’s directive regarding events, the next three events on the LPGA Tour schedule are postponed: the Volvik Founders Cup in Phoenix, Ariz., which was scheduled to take place March 19-22; the Kia Classic in Carlsbad, Calif., which was scheduled to take place March 26-29; and the ANA Inspiration in Rancho Mirage, Calif., which was scheduled for April 2-5. The plan is to reschedule these events for later dates in the 2020 season.

The upcoming two events on the Symetra Tour that were set to take place in California were also postponed: the IOA Championship presented by Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Beaumont from March 27-29 and the Windsor Golf Classic in Windsor from April 2-4.

“This is a difficult situation and as we navigate these uncertain times, we appreciate the support of all those involved with the LPGA. I am fully committed to rescheduling these important events on our 2020 schedule, especially our first major, the ANA Inspiration,” said LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan. “Our thoughts are with all of those around the world affected by this virus. And on a personal level, it pains me to see the impact of this health crisis on our athletes, our sponsors and our fans. That said, I know keeping our LPGA family safe, and all those who follow us safe, has to be my top priority.

“We will continue to monitor this rapidly evolving situation with our global health partners and are planning for different scenarios for future LPGA events should they be necessary.”

World No. 1 Jin Young Ko is one of several top players who have yet to compete this year. Events in Thailand, Singapore and China earlier in the year were previously canceled.

The next event on the schedule is the LOTTE Championship in Hawaii, slated for April 15-18.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.