Low winds continued to help firefighters make progress against the Thomas fire Sunday, and favorable weather should provide further relief in the coming days.
At 427 square miles, it is the largest fire in California's modern history, destroying 1,063 structures in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.
It was 70 percent contained as of Saturday evening, with nearly 1,600 firefighters working to put it out, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. Officials incorrectly reported earlier that the fire was 78 percent contained.
With humidity extremely low, some interior parts of the fire gained intensity Saturday, but there was no new threat to containment lines, the agency said.
Winds are expected to stay below 15 mph until Tuesday night, said Dave Bruno, a National Weather Service meteorologist.
"It looks really good, as far as winds go," he said. But there also is no rain forecast for the days ahead.
Fire officials estimate full containment by Jan. 7, more than a month after the fire first erupted in Ventura County.
Meanwhile, the Creek fire, which has scorched more than 15,000 acres east of Sylmar, is nearing 100 percent containment, officials said.
The wind-whipped fire, which started Dec. 5, destroyed more than 60 homes. Three firefighters sustained minor injuries, and 29 horses were killed in padlocked stalls at a ranch in Sylmar.