Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
World
Laura Sharman

London Tube strike suspended after talks

There won’t be four days of Tube strikes after last minute crisis talks

(Picture: PA)

Londoners have been spared four days of Tube strikes following last minute talks between TfL and negotiators.

The walkouts were called by Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) following a dispute over new rosters for night Tube drivers.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan broke the news on Twitter.

“At this crucial time for our city’s economic recovery, I’m pleased to hear Londoners and visitors won’t face disruption,” he said on Twitter.

Customers had been warned to expect major disruption between Tuesday and Friday when the planned strikes were set to take place.

“We remain in dispute and will be engaging in further discussions with a view to reaching a settlement,” RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said in a statement.

The union has been threatening to strike over changes to London’s night tube service which would mean the end of a separate pool of designated nighttime drivers.

RMT believes the move would cut part-time jobs.

However, TfL said it would allow all Tube services to operate more efficiently and that no driver would lose their job as a result.

In June, a £1.1 billion government funding deal was announced for the transport operator in the third emergency support package since the pandemic began.

It is not the first time industrial action has been called off surrounding the issue.

Earlier strikes set to begin on August 3 were called off to allow time for further talks.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.