Almost one in 10 London buses have been hit by strike action as drivers protest over pay.
Up to 58 routes, concentrated in west, south-west and north-west London, were targeted by members of the Unite union.
Transport for London said the action, involving an estimated 2,000 drivers, was likely to mean little or no service on the routes throughout Friday and again on Monday, and advised passengers to check before setting off.
There will be knock-on impacts until Saturday and Tuesday mornings – the latter affecting the return to school for thousands of pupils.
The bus routes affected include: 13, 18, 23, 31, 33, 49, 65, 70, 71, 72, 85, 94, 105, 110, 116, 117, 148, 203, 216, 218, 220, 224, 235, 272, 281, 283, 290, 293, 295, 371, 406, 411, 418, 419, 423, 440, 452, 467, 613, 662, 665, 681, 696, C1, E3, H22, H37, H98, K1, K2, K3, K4, K5, N18, N31, N33, N65, N72.
The walkouts have been called by Unite in protest at the actions of First Bus, one of the private firms that operates routes for TfL.
The dispute is affecting drivers based at eight bus garages: Fulwell, Hounslow, Hounslow Heath, Park Royal, Shepherd’s Bush, Stamford Brook, Tolworth and Westbourne Park.
This equates to about nine per cent of bus services across London being affected, said TfL.
#NSSN supporting @UniteLondon West London #BusStrike - Westbourne Park picket line @unitetheunion@UniteEconomy @UniteSharon
— NSSN (@NSSN_AntiCuts) August 29, 2025
Read more - https://t.co/XTANrQzQEz pic.twitter.com/XPZIDkysDW
The drivers work for London United and sister firm London Transit, which First acquired from another bus firm, RATP, earlier this year.
Unite says the dispute has arisen because its members are “furious” that not all elements of a new pay offer are being backdated to the pay anniversary date last December.
This means that drivers face losing hundreds of pounds of back pay.
According to Unite, London United is also attempting to change the pay anniversary of some workers and is refusing to reinstate shift work premiums for others.
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: "This is underhand and disgraceful behaviour from a company making millions from London bus passengers.
“To try and refuse to pay money owed since December shows an utter disregard for its workers and the hard work they do day in, day out.
"Our members won't stand for such behaviour and Unite will back them all the way in this dispute with a company that has a history of anti-worker behaviour."
Unite regional officer Callum Rochford said: "Our members do an incredibly difficult job - whether it's driving buses in rush hour in London, keeping buses running or managing routes and timetables. Yet their employer is trying to deny hundreds of pounds of back pay and mess around with their anniversary dates in a cheap attempt to weaken union negotiations.
"Workers can see through these tactics and won't stand for them. London United and London Transit need to come back to the table, pay what's right and end this dispute now before they make going back to school even less popular."
A spokesperson for First Bus London said: “We are disappointed at Unite’s decision, particularly as we tabled a revised pay offer in a final attempt to avert disruption.
“We regret that our valued employees were not given the chance to formally vote on the offer, especially as our own internal feedback indicated a good level of interest in what we proposed.
“We believe that constructive engagement could have helped us avoid strike action, which will unfortunately cause unnecessary inconvenience to the London public and loss of earnings for our employees.
“Our enhanced, above-inflation offer with full back pay for all employees reflects the value we place on our people and our commitment to protecting them from the rising cost of living, even in the challenging financial environment we operate in.
“We remain ready to meet Unite at any time, as we are committed to finding a resolution and minimising disruption for our passengers and employees alike.”
Unite warned that more strikes would be announced if the dispute was not resolved.
TfL urged both parties to get back round the table to resolve the dispute.
TfL said on Friday that route 13 was operating a limited service between Finchley, Church End and Baker Street station only, while route 467 was operating a full service throughout its route.
TfL added: “NO SERVICE on Routes 18 23* 31 33 49 65 70 71 72 85* 94* 105* 110 116 117 148* 203 216 218 220* 224 235 272 281* 283 290 293 295* 371 406 411 418 419 423 440 452 467 C1 E3 H22 H37 H98 K1 K2 K3 K4 and K5 (*24 hour route).
“24 hour and Night Bus N18 N31 N33 N65 and N72 routes will be affected on Friday night / Saturday morning and Monday night / Tuesday morning. On Monday only, school route 681 will be affected.”
Lorna Murphy, TfL’s director of buses, said: “We urge Unite and First Bus to work together to find a solution to this dispute.
“We encourage both parties to find a solution to this dispute and we're sorry for any disruption to people's journeys.”
•For updated information on bus services affected by the strike, visit: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/strikes