Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Tiffany Lo

London Bridge worker Mohammed pinned attacker on break and then returned to work

A passing-by kitchen porter has been praised after helping to tackle London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan - during his lunch break.

The man, who gave his name as Mohammed, remained calm and returned to wash dishes after joining other passersby to take on the convicted terrorist, who was released from jail in December 2018.

He is said to have interviewed by the police who responded to the scene and shot 28-year-old Khan dead on the pavement.

Mohammed's boss told Sun Online: "He was there. He held the guy down.

The kitchen porter was said to be on his lunch break when he held down the attacker (PA)

"He was on his break He came back afterwards to work.

"He didn't say anything. He went back to work. He was washing dishes"

Another one who dived in to help was Polish-born chef, Luckasz, who .

He was being treated at the hospital for stab wounds after the attack.

The incident on Friday left 25-year-old Jack Merritt and a woman dead in the knife rampage on Friday afternoon, leaving three other people injured.

Killer Khan had been living in Stafford after he was released from prison on licence in December 2018.

Usman Khan (PA)

He was charged with conspiracy to cause explosions and other terrorism offences in late December 2010, along with eight others.

On February 1 2012, the nine pleaded guilty to various terrorist offences, with four admitting an al Qaida-inspired plot to detonate a bomb at the London Stock Exchange.

Woolwich Crown Court heard a hand-written target list found on a desk at one of the plotters' homes also included the names and addresses of the Dean of St Paul's Cathedral in London, then London mayor Boris Johnson , two rabbis, and the American Embassy in London.

Khan and two others, all from Stoke-on-Trent, admitted to a charge of engaging in conduct for the preparation of terrorism between November 1 and December 21 2010 - namely travelling to and attending operational meetings, fundraising for terrorist training, preparing to travel abroad and assisting others in travelling abroad.

The group was also linked to radical preacher Anjem Choudary by a mobile phone seized from an address of one of the plotters, which contained material relating to protests by the banned Al-Muhajiroun group he founded. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.