Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
PTI

Lockdown | Maharashtra govt. working towards resuming industrial production

State Industries Minister Subhash Desai asked his department to draft a proposal on how to restart industrial production in these districts. (Source: File Photo)

Maharashtra Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat on Tuesday said 10 districts in the State have not reported any coronavirus case and the government is working on how to seal them completely and restart industries there and bring normalcy.

Earlier, State Industries Minister Subhash Desai also asked his department to draft a proposal on how to restart industrial production in these districts.

But, there would be no permission for any industrial or business activity in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region and Pune, which have been categorised as red zones due to a large number of coronavirus cases, he said.

“I have asked my department to come up with a proposal on how to start industrial production from districts excluding Mumbai and Pune,” Mr. Desai tweeted late Monday evening.

“One key demand we will be making before the Centre is extending bank loans for next couple of months so that small and medium scale industries could pay salaries to its employees,” he added.

Coronavirus: Maharashtra tally goes past 2,000  

On Tuesday, the cabinet sub-committee chaired by Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar held a meeting following which Mr. Thorat told reporters that the ministers discussed how industries and works under the Employment Guarantee Scheme (EGS) can be allowed to resume in those districts.

Discussions were also held on how sugarcane cutters can be medically examined and sent back to their respective districts.

During the meeting, detailed discussions took place on steps to curb the spread of coronavirus and how to improve the State’s economy, the minister said.

“Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has already told Prime Minister Narendra Modi that some decisions will have to be taken at the State level. We discussed those steps as well,” he said.

Coronavirus | Worli makes up for 20% of Mumbai’s cases 

Out of the total 36 districts in Maharashtra, 10 have not reported any coronavirus case so far.

“Borders of these 10 districts can be sealed and internally industries can be allowed to resume and generate employment. Essential services and transportation also need to be ensured,” Mr. Thorat said.

The cabinet sub-committee includes Ajit Pawar, who also holds charge of the finance department, Water Resources Minister Jayant Patil, Public Works Department Minister Ashok Chavan, Urban Development Minister Eknath Shinde, Transport Minister Anil Parab and Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.