Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Ian Doyle

Liverpool seal place in another final as midfielder sends first-team reminder

Tyler Morton scored a wonder goal as Liverpool romped into the Lancashire Senior Cup final.

Morton struck a blistering strike from 25 yards as the Reds earned a 4-1 win over Blackpool in their semi-final at the Academy in Kirkby on Monday afternoon.

Jack Bearne and Jarell Quansah also struck in the first half and Leighton Clarkson late on as Barry Lewtas’s side dealt better with the blustery conditions.

PAUL GORST: Liverpool have just provided definite answer to Man City rivalry question

IAN DOYLE: Jurgen Klopp has obvious transfer need as Sadio Mane sends contract message

JURGEN KLOPP: Liverpool boss denies celebration claim after off-camera scene at Man City

Blackpool named a number of first-team players in their starting line-up, including former Liverpool youngster Matty Virtue-Thick and striker Jerry Yates, who scored 20 goals in League One for the Tangerines last season.

However, Liverpool – with Owen Beck excellent – dominated possession in the first half and went ahead after only nine minutes.

It was a well worked goal, too, Clarkson gaining possession in midfield and playing a fine pass forward for Max Woltman who in turn fed Bearne inside the area for a neat finish into the far corner.

Woltman was then denied midway through the half when his curling effort from the edge of the area was brilliantly turned behind by Blackpool goalkeeper Stuart Moore.

The visitors’ respite, though, was only brief, as from the resultant corner Clarkson curled an outswinger from the right and Quansah timed his run perfectly to head in at the near post.

James Balagizi was denied by Moore shortly afterwards, but the keeper had no chance on 33 minutes when Morton - who has featured for the first team this season - picked up the ball 25 yards out on the right-edge of the area and thumped an angled strike into the top corner.

Blackpool, with the wind in their favour second half, pulled a goal back on 58 minutes as Owen Dale found space down the left and crossed for Yates to volley in from close range. The young Reds, though, saw out the game comfortably with Clarkson sealing the win three minutes from time when following up after Bearne's shot had been parried out by Moore.

Liverpool U23s are next in action on Sunday when they entertain West Ham United in Premier League 2 (kick-off 2pm).

LIVERPOOL (4-3-3): Pitaluga; Bradley (Wilson 88), Williams, Quansah, Beck; Clarkson, Morton, Corness (Clayton 82); Bearne, Balagizi, Woltman (Norris 68). Subs: Kelly.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.