Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Fionnula Hainey

Liverpool hospital explosion: 'Several suspicious packages' found during searches

Officers investigating the explosion outside Liverpool Women's Hospital have found 'several suspicious packages' during searches of addresses linked to the suspected bomber.

Properties on Sutcliffe Street and Rutland Avenue in Liverpool have been cordoned off while counter-terrorism officers continue their investigations into the blast, which occurred just before 11am on Remembrance Sunday (November 14).

Terror suspect Emad Al Swealmeen died when the taxi he was travelling in exploded as it pulled up outside the Crown Street hospital site.

Officers believe the Iraq-born 32-year-old had manufactured a homemade bomb, but it is unclear whether the hospital was his intended target.

In an update this evening, Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said forensics officers had recovered a number of packages from a property on Sutcliffe Street, but a property on Rutland Avenue, which is believed to have been rented by Al Swealmeen since April, remains at the centre of the investigation.

Police extended the cordon to Boaler Street earlier today (Andrew Teebay/Liverpool Echo)

Police believe the suspect had been buying bomb components since at least April, it emerged today.

Officers say they are currently not looking for anyone else in connection with the blast.

The latest update from Mr Jackson reads: "Officers continue to search the Sutcliffe Street and Rutland Avenue addresses in relation to the CT incident on Sunday 14 November.

"This afternoon whilst searching a property on Sutcliffe Street several suspicious packages were found.

"Out of caution, these were examined by Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) officers prior to being recovered by forensics teams.

"An extension of the cordon to Boaler Street earlier today has now been retracted to cover only Sutcliffe Street. This decision forms part of our cautious and methodical approach to searching both addresses.

"The public may see EOD officers present tomorrow, if so, their presence will again be solely out of caution in case further items are found.

"Our main focus remains at the Rutland Avenue address."

Police say a property on Rutland Avenue, near Sefton Park, remains at the centre of their investigation (Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)

In a statement earlier today, Mr Jackson said a "complex picture" was emerging involving the purchase of parts used in the device.

"We know that Al Swealmeen rented the property from April this year and we believe relevant purchases have been made at least since that time," he said.

“We have now traced a next of kin for Al Swealmeen who has informed us that he was born in Iraq," he added.

He also said the 32-year-old asylum seeker had suffered from periods of mental illness that will “form part of the investigation and will take some time to fully understand”.

Police have cordoned off a house on Sutcliffe Street (Andrew Teebay/Liverpool Echo)

Mr Jackson added: “There is much comment in the media about Al Swealmeen and it is clear that he was known to many people. We continue to appeal for people who knew him, especially those who associated with him this year as we try and piece together the events leading up to this incident and the reasons for it.

“At this time we are not finding any link to others in the Merseyside area of concern but this remains a fast moving investigation and as more becomes known we cannot rule out action against others.”

It is understood that an Islamist plot is one line of inquiry being considered by police, although investigators are keeping an open mind and the motivation is yet to be established.

The inquiry is examining, among other possibilities, whether the main charge on the device failed to explode and if a TATP device, such as the one used in the Manchester Arena bombing in 2017, was used.

The incident has been declared a terrorist attack and the UK terror threat level raised from substantial to severe, meaning an attack is “highly likely” rather than “likely”.

Harrowing CCTV footage released today shows the taxi carrying Al Swealmeen on its way to Liverpool Women's Hospital.

The footage from outside the Green Mountain Food Store shows the Delta taxi making its way along Lodge Lane towards the Crown Street hospital site.

Meanwhile, a witness has spoken out about the moment he ran towards the taxi after it exploded.

Former hospital worker Liam Spencer, 21, described the moment he saw the terror suspect engulfed in flames as he tried to help in the aftermath of the bomb blast.

Taxi driver David Perry managed to escape from the vehicle just seconds before it burst into flames.

Mr Perry's wife described his escape as an "utter miracle", adding that he was "lucky to be alive".

For all the latest news, click here to sign up to our newsletter

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.