Liverpool FC fan killed in police shooting

By Abigail Nicholson

A Liverpool FC fan was killed after being shot twice by police after tasers had no impact, an inquest has heard.

Lewis Skelton, 31, was carrying an axe 'like a hatchet' when he was shot in Hull after he failed to respond to officers' instructions to stop.

At an inquest in Hull Coroners Court, the jury heard how Humberside Police received three 999 calls on November 29, 2016, saying a man was walking down Holderness Road carrying an axe.

READ MORE: Lorry driver dies after M6 horror crash

Assistant coroner, Oliver Longstaff, said although no witnesses saw Mr Skelton threaten anyone, he was described as "walking with purpose" and police in command feared he "might have an intended target" and was heading towards a busy area of Hull.

Armed police were deployed and two officers caught up with him on Caroline Place.

Mr Longstaff said: "You will be told that the officers identified themselves as armed police to Lewis who ignored their instruction to stop and stand still."

The coroner said that, when Mr Skelton ran from the officers, one of them discharged his Taser "with no discernible effect".

Lewis Skelton, who was shot by police in Francis Street, Hull city centre, November 2016 (Submitted)

He said Mr Skelton continued to move away from the officers with the Taser wires and cartridges trailing behind him.

The second officer shouted another warning and discharged his Taser, which also had no effect, the coroner said.

Mr Longstaff said Mr Skelton continued at "jogging pace" onto Francis Street, where he was approaching a group of workmen.

He said the first officer to use his Taser thought there was an immediate threat to the workmen in the street and "decided that it was necessary for him to use his firearm - a Glock pistol".

The coroner told the jury that the officer shot him in the right-hand side of his back and Mr Skelton stumbled but did not stop, with the axe swinging in his arms as he moved.

He said the officer then fired a second shot, after delivering another warning, which stopped Mr Skelton, and the two officers moved in to restrain him.

The coroner said the jury would hear how Mr Skelton continued to struggle as the officers and paramedics tended to his injuries.

He died later in hospital.

In a pen-portrait read to the court, Mr Skelton's parents, Helen and Glen, described how their son was a "kind man with a good heart".

Mr and Mrs Skelton said he was a key part of their close-knit family and the events of November 2016 had "deeply affected" all of them.

They said Mr Skelton was a passionate Liverpool fan who also loved music and animals.

Mr and Mrs Skelton said their son struggled with mental health problems and added: "Lewis had his problems, but who doesn't?"

In a formal witness statement read to the court, Glen Skelton said his son started taking heroin when he was about 18 years old after getting in with the "wrong crowd".

Glen Skelton said his son served a prison sentence in 2008 that left him "broken" and he later developed psychosis.

One of Mr Skelton's three sisters, Laura, said in a statement that her brother was "not a typical addict" and remained kind-natured, never stealing to fund his drug taking.

She said her brother had been sectioned twice due to his mental health problems.

Ms Skelton said in her statement: "I do not believe that Lewis deserved to die.

"He needed help not killing."

The inquest was adjourned until Wednesday.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.