Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Dennis Young

Little League World Series canceled for first time ever

Little League canceled its World Series and World Series qualifiers on Thursday. The coronavirus caused the first-ever cancellation in the 74-year history of the event. The LLWS began in 1947 and had been played every year since.

The tournament was scheduled for August in Williamsport, Pa. The Aug. 23 Red Sox-Orioles game in Williamsport is also canceled. In a statement, Little League said that local leagues could look into resuming play after May 11.

"After exhausting all possible options, we came to the conclusion that because of the significant public health uncertainty that will still exist several months from now, and with direction from Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf ... and government leaders from locations where our other six World Series are held ... it will not be possible to proceed with our tournaments as we've hosted them for nearly 75 years," Little League president Stephen Keener said in a statement.

The statement also said that international travel restrictions were a major factor.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.