Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Luke Traynor

Listed building part of 200 new flats complex destroyed in 'arson attack'

A fire which ripped through a Grade II Listed building set to be part of a scheme to build 200 new apartments is suspected to be arson.

The large blaze, on the former Rock Ferry High School site - was started at about 8pm on Sunday, when flames burned through Ravenswood House, once part of the Wirral school's complex.

The culturally-protected structure was set to be refurbished to house eight new flats, part of a wider now-approved plan to erect 102 extra care apartments and 76 houses and bungalows, just off Highfield South and Ravenswood Avenue.

Emergency services at the scene of a fire at the former Rock Ferry High School in Wirral (Beth Lee)

Today, council chiefs confirmed 20% of the listed building had been damaged, and an urgent structural survey had been carried out.

The apartments initiative will still go ahead, however, and Ravenswood House will form a key part of that, it was added.

Detectives have now confirmed it was arson.

An investigation to find those responsible was launched on Monday.

In a statement, Merseyside Police said: "We were contacted at just after 10.30pm, Sunday, 15th March, following reports of a fire at the building on Rockwood Avenue.

"The building is currently under renovation and was empty at the time.

"There have been no reports of anyone being injured.

A fire at the former Rock Ferry High School building in Wirral (Beth Lee)

“The fire is being treated as suspected malicious ignition and CCTV and house-to-house enquiries are being carried out in the local area."

Ravenswood House remained standing after the school was demolished in 2016, and was added to the Heritage England list in 2012.

In mid-February, controversial plans for the new homes on the former Rock Ferry High site were approved, despite more than 400 people opposing them.

Ravenswood House was the one part of the old site which stayed intact, meaning developers had to incorporate saving it within their blueprints.

The new homes plan was put forward by Torus, supported by funding from Homes England.

A Wirral Council spokeswoman, who still own the site and building, said: "The council has undertaken a full structural survey on Ravenswood House this week.

"The survey recommends some urgent initial works to secure the damaged area - around 20% of the building – and this will be carried out in the next two to four weeks.

Click here to read today's top news stories and click here for the latest coronavirus updates

"Every indication suggests that the much-needed housing and extra care developments will still go ahead as planned, and Ravenswood House remains a part of this plan.”

Anyone who has any information about the fire is asked to direct message on Twitter @MerPolCC, call 101 or contact @Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 quoting reference 20000162007.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.