Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Dave Birkett

Lions expect reduced capacity at home games; masks will be required

DETROIT _ If the Detroit Lions play football games this fall, they will be doing so in front of a less-than-capacity home crowd.

The Lions, in an email to season ticket holders Wednesday, said they are "anticipating a reduced seating capacity, with socially distanced seating," at Ford Field this season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"The most prominent change will be the number of fans allowed to attend games at Ford Field," the unsigned email said, noting "capacity restrictions have not yet been determined by government officials.

"A capacity reduction will impact season ticket memberships for the 2020 season, as we will be unable to offer members customary and previously assigned seat locations. Once Michigan state government regulations are established and the NFL finalizes specific gameday protocols, we will provide further updates regarding seating options for the 2020 season."

Several NFL teams have offered season ticket holders the option for refunds and/or to roll their payments over until next season and be guaranteed the same seats.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy tweeted Wednesday that fans at NFL games this season will be required to wear facemasks.

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued an executive order last week requiring people in the state to wear face coverings in any public indoor space and in outdoor spaces where 6 feet of distancing is not possible.

Previously, Whitmer issued an order limiting the number of people in a sports arena or similar venue to 25% of its capacity or 250 people, whichever is smaller. Ford Field has a capacity of 65,000.

The Lions are one of eight NFL teams that have had their infectious disease emergency response plan (IDER) approved for the fall, with plans for the other 24 teams still under review.

All NFL teams are required to have an IDER in place before players return to club facilities. The plan outlines steps each club will take to contain an outbreak of COVID-19, including tiered access to their facility, physical distance measures, facility and equipment cleaning, food service and the use of personal protective equipment.

The Lions' plan was put together by its medical staff in conjunction with general manager Bob Quinn, vice president of football administration Mike Disner and chief of staff Kevin Anderson.

The Lions are scheduled to open training camp next week, though camp will have a different feel from past years.

Fans are not allowed to attend practices in Allen Park, and NFL teams are expected to have a multi-week acclimation period of strength and conditioning work before holding full-team practices.

The NFL and NFL Players Association have agreed to cancel all preseason games, and players must undergo coronavirus screening before entering the building.

The Lions open the regular season Sept. 13 against the Chicago Bears.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.