Lil Wayne's spokespeople have played down rumours that the rapper suffered two seizures while travelling by private jet. Despite reports by gossip site TMZ, Lil Wayne's team insisted that the 30-year-old received emergency treatment for a severe migraine and dehydration.
"He is at home on doctor mandated rest and will return to work soon," they said. The rapper subsequently cancelled an appearance at a shopping mall in Louisville, Kentucky.
"Thanx for all the prayers!" Wayne tweeted on Saturday. "I am good." This reassurance follows TMZ's reports of two seizures within 48 hours, on successive attempts to fly from Texas to Los Angeles. Twice, the jets were forced to make emergency landings so that Lil Wayne could seek medical care.
"I talked to him last night before ya'll heard about anything, so he's straight," 2 Chainz, Lil Wayne's label mate, told MTV News on Saturday. "Get well soon homie."
While Lil Wayne's team has contested the claims of seizures, the reports are clearly reminiscent of Rick Ross's medical problems last year. Ross suffered two seizures on airline flights, which he later blamed on fatigue.
"It was a case of me not getting enough rest, enough sleep," he told BET. "I felt a little wore out but I felt like I could keep going … I would get two hours of sleep and keep moving."
Lil Wayne is currently finishing work on forthcoming LP I Am Not a Human Being II, which is expected in December. The rapper recently revealed that Kanye West had "a big hand in the album", along with producers David Banner and Dr Dre.