Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
World
Patrick Donahue and Samer Khalil Al-Atrush

Libya weapons embargo has become a 'joke,' top UN official says

MUNICH/CAIRO _ A senior United Nations official said the arms embargo on Libya is a "joke," as governments called for accelerated talks on a permanent cease-fire in the North African state.

Officials gathered in Munich Sunday expressed concern about "the deplorable recent violations" of the weapons embargo, while also reaffirming the conclusions of a summit in Berlin last month, which sought to move toward ending the civil war between Fayez al-Sarraj, Libya's UN-backed prime minister, and his rival General Khalifa Haftar.

Stephanie Williams, a UN deputy special envoy who also attended the meeting, said that the situation on the ground "remains deeply troubling" and the truce "is holding only by a thread." There have been "hundreds of violations reported" and "the arms embargo has become a joke," she said at a news conference.

Germany, Russia, Turkey, France, Britain, the U.S., China, Egypt, Tunisia and the United Arab Emirates were among nations represented at the meeting on the sidelines of a high-level security conference in the Bavarian capital.

"Despite all the areas where we haven't reached our goal, the path that we've chosen is functioning and the diplomatic engagement in the past days has been effective," German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said at the news conference.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.