Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Libya's NOC: Primary Concern is Worker Safety at Sharara Oilfield

FILE PHOTO: A general view shows Libya's El Sharara oilfield December 3, 2014. REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny/File Photo

The head of Libya's National Oil Corp on Friday urged all parties to avoid escalation at the El Sharara oilfield, the country's largest, and said the NOC would not resume normal operations until security had been restored.

"Worker safety remains our primary concern," NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla said in a statement.

"We urge all parties to avoid conflict and the politicization of key infrastructure."

The Libyan National Army led by Khalifa Haftar has clashed with forces belonging to the head of the Government of National Accord, Fayez al-Sarraj, who is based in the capital Tripoli.

The battles erupted after the LNA said on Wednesday it had seized the 315,000-barrel-per-day (bpd) southwestern field from tribesmen and protesters who forced operations to halt when they took the site on Dec. 8.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.