Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
World
Kirsty McKenzie

Libby Squire death treated as homicide investigation

The death of Libby Squire is being treated as a homicide investigation the senior investigating officer of the case told the opening of an inquest into her death.

Libby, 21, died on March 20 near Spurn Point, at the mouth of the River Humber, Hull Coroners Court heard.

She had been missing since the early hours of Friday, February 1 following a night out with friends.

Her disappearance sparked a search lasting nearly seven weeks.

During a short ten-minute hearing today, Cops treat Libby Squire's death as 'potential homicide' but won't release details of post-mortem Superintendent Martin Smalley - senior investigating officer for the case - confirmed Libby Squire's death is now a homicide investigation.

Reading evidence to the court, Pawel Relowicz, 24, was named for the first time by the officer as the man "questioned and then released under investigation" in the case.

A major search was launched for Libby after she vanished (SWNS)

Cops treat Libby Squire's death as 'potential homicide' but won't release details of post-mortem  

He confirmed Relowicz had "been charged with other offences".

Senior Coroner Paul Marks said it was his duty to have to open the inquest into the "sad death of Libby Squire".

He added: "She was born in High Wycombe and sadly died on March 20 near Cops treat Libby Squire's death as 'potential homicide' but won't release details of post-mortem , at the mouth of the River Humber.

"This inquest will look for evidence of ID and summary of police investigation so far."

A statement by identification expert Catherine Land was read to the inquest which confirmed there was "no doubt" the body found was that of Libby's.

Ms Land said in the written statement: "I have compared friction ridge finger prints and impressions of Liberty Anna Squire and have no doubt that the body is her."

Senior Investigating Officer for the case, Detective Superintendent Martin Smalley, was sworn to give evidence.

He said: "The post-mortem and forensics are ongoing. [The investigation] has now been declared a homicide investigation and that will continue."

He said officers had arrested Pawel Relowicz, 24, on February 6 over Libby Squire's disappearance.

Reading evidence to the court, DS Smalley said: "Pawel Relowicz was questioned and then released under that investigation, but [we] identified further offences.

"He has now been charged with other offences."

Libby Squire pictured with mum Lisa (PA)

Body of 17-year-old girl found near hospital four miles from horror car crash site  

He confirmed Libby had last been seen at a bus stop near Beverley Road after being refused entry to the Welly club in Hull, East Yorks.

The inquest was adjourned by the coroner pending further investigation.

Libby's body has not been released to her family due to ongoing pathological and forensic evidence, the inquest heard.

Mr Marks concluded the hearing by offering his condolences to Libby's family.

He said: "I'd like to extend my condolences to Libby's family in this tragic case of her death."

A date for the next inquest is still to be set.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.