Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Thomas George

Leigh doctor's surgery closes over possible coronavirus case

A Leigh doctor’s surgery has been forced to shut after a patient attended with coronavirus symptoms.

Wigan Road Surgery had to be deep cleaned on Wednesday after a patient suspected of having the virus visited.

Leigh Family Practice, which manages the surgery, said the facility was closed to patients as a precautionary measure for 20 minutes, while the area where the patient had been was cleaned.

The surgery reopened to patients later in the day.

As the patient had been in contact with someone who had recently traveled to mainland Europe, they were advised to self-isolate.

Practice manager Amanda Geary said: “Our premises closed temporarily as a precautionary measure for a small amount of time but now is fully re-open.

“We would remind patients that if they suspect they may have Coronavirus and have symptoms that they should not attend the practice but look at NHS 111 web pages for advice.”

Wigan has three confirmed cases of coronavirus so far, including two parents from Garrett Hall Primary School in Tyldesley (Manchester Evening News)

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Greater Manchester now stands at 24. 

These include three cases in Wigan borough, two of which are parents from Garrett Hall Primary School in Tyldesley.

The school was the first in the region to shut last week.

Following 'a specialist deep clean' on Thursday and Friday, it reopened on Monday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.