Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Brett Gibbons

Leicester lockdown relaxed with pubs and restaurants allowed to reopen next week

Pubs, cafes and restaurants can reopen in Leicester from next week after the announcement lockdown measures would be eased.

The Department for Health and Social Care said hairdressers, cinemas and museums would also be able to open from Monday, but social gathering restrictions would remain in place for the city and leisure centres, gyms and public swimming pools would also remain closed.

Mosques and other places of worship will be allowed to reopen from Monday. But Leicester South MP Jon Ashworth advised Muslims to celebrate Eid al Adha “with your own household at home”.

All restrictions in neighbouring Oadby and Wigston will be lifted, the department added.

Extra lockdown restrictions were imposed in Leicester and neighbouring areas by Health Secretary Matt Hancock on June 29 after a spike in Covid-19 infections.

Liz Kendall, Labour MP for Leicester West, said that despite an “unbelievably difficult period” for the city, the hard work and sacrifice of residents had paid off.

Writing on Twitter on Thursday evening, Ms Kendall said: “Just been on call with Minister about #LeicesterLockdown.

“The great news is our pubs, cafes, bars & restaurants can re-open and people can go on holiday with their own household.

“But leisure centres, gyms & pools still closed, and no meeting up with other households indoors.

“This has been an unbelievably difficult period for our city but peoples hard work & sacrifices have paid off.”

She added that the Government handling of the lockdown had been “totally shambolic” and that lessons needed to be learnt to prevent similar situations in future.

Responding to questions from local residents, she added: “To everyone asking questions, I’m really sorry I don’t have any more details, this is just what we were told on the call.

“But I wanted to let people know as soon as possible what’s happening as it is quite frankly a disgrace we’ve been left waiting so long without any proper info.”

Neil O’Brien, Conservative MP for Harborough, Oadby & Wigston, tweeted: “Hurray!!! After much pushing and shoving I have just had it confirmed by the Department of Health that Oadby and Wigston is moving OUT of lockdown and will be the same as the rest of Leicestershire.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.