Here are the Leeds United morning headlines for Friday, August 14.
Former Leeds defender praises ‘foundations’ provided by new signings
Former Leeds United centre-back Alex Bruce has spoken highly of the club’s youth recruitment after a third highly-rated teenager moved to Elland Road.
Cody Drameh has arrived from Fulham, having recorded seven assists from right-back for the Cottagers’ under-23 side last season.
The 18-year-old joins ex-Wigan Athletic forward Joe Gelhardt, also 18, and 16-year-old Charlie Allen, who has joined Leeds from Linfield.
And Bruce, who made 33 appearances for the Whites between 2010 and 2012, told Football Insider: “It could bode well for the future, the recruitment.
“It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise what they’re looking for, they’re obviously looking to improve the foundations in terms of the future and what they can expect.”
Leeds have not been afraid to use young academy talents under Marcelo Bielsa, and the arrival of the teenage trio provides further cause for optimism about the future.
Jonathan David explains why he passed on Leeds move
While Leeds continue to pursue a number of transfer targets, Jonathan David is one man who won’t be arriving this summer.
The Canadian forward had been strongly linked with a move to Elland Road, but has instead opted to join French side Lille ahead of the 2020/21 season.
“Everyone knows the Premier League is a high-quality league. But my choice was dictated by the fact that I wanted above all to be sure of playing,” David told France Bleu.
The 20-year-old had been linked with a Premier League switch after a second impressive season in front of goal for Gent in Belgium.
He scored 18 times in the league and added five more in Europe, helping his team finish second and earn a spot in the Champions League qualifying rounds.
Lille reportedly spent £27million on the young talent, having earlier received a €50m fee for their own 2019/20 top scorer, Victor Osimhen.
Warnock gives prediction for Whites’ Premier League return
Neil Warnock, Leeds manager between 2012 and 2013, has backed his former club to succeed on their return to the Premier League.
Bielsa’s team did what Warnock’s couldn’t, earning promotion to the top-flight to end what was a 16-year run without top-flight football.
And Warnock, speaking to talkSPORT, expressed his optimism about his former club’s hopes of making an impact in English football’s highest tier.
"They [Leeds] tried to throw it away before," the veteran manager, now in charge at Middlesbrough, said.
"But I love Leeds, it’s a fantastic club, brilliant fans.
“They’ll hold their own, they’ll definitely hold their own in the Premier League.
“The other two I’m not so sure. I think Fulham have got a better squad than West Brom.”
Warnock succeeded Simon Grayson at Elland Road, taking over in February 2012, but failed to elevate them above mid-table and was replaced before the end of the following season.
The 71-year-old has confirmed he will extend his stay at Boro for the 2020/21 campaign, having joined on a short-term deal and helped keep them afloat last season.