Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Ian McCourt

Leeds’ Massimo Cellino: ‘Nothing has been sorted out ... there is just shit’

Leeds owner Massimo Cellino believes that the club is already under prepared for next season.
The Leeds owner Massimo Cellino believes that the club is already underprepared for the next season. Photograph: Tony Marshall/PA

Massimo Cellino has said he is disappointed with the way that Leeds United have been run during his enforced absence from the club.

Cellino, who is the majority shareholder in the Yorkshire side, resigned as club president in January after losing his appeal against the Football League’s decision to disqualify him as a “relevant owner” following a conviction for tax invasion in Italy and that ban was extended until the end of the season following his non-disclosure of court documents last year which confirmed his non-payment of tax on his yacht had been a dishonest act.

With the season over and the ban now lifted, a statement on the club’s official website on Thursday said that Cellino would now return to the Leeds board with immediate effect having passed the Football League’s owners and directors test.

“Leeds United can confirm that Massimo Cellino has been granted Football League permission to return to the club’s board,” said the statement. “Mr Cellino will take up the role as Leeds United chairman with immediate effect after passing the League’s owners and directors test.

The 58-year-old Italian believes that the club is already underprepared for the next season and that “everything needs sorting out”. Speaking to freelance journalist Simon Austin, he said: “Nothing has been sorted out and instead there is just shit. When I left, everyone was looking after their own skin rather than what was good for the club.

“Everything needs sorting out for next season – the sponsors, ground, lights, even pre-season. They told me we were booked for the pre-season. Then I find out the Liverpool under-17s are booked at the same place and there is only one training pitch. Amateurs.”

Cellino also spoke to Austin about Neil Redfearn’s future at the club, saying that he is “in love” with him but that he can offer him no guarantee that he will be in charge come next season.

“I am in love with Neil and I don’t want to talk to anyone else about the job,” Cellino said. “I have always believed in him and I gave him his big chance. I made sure he had a clause guaranteeing he would pick the team. ... But I need to decide whether Neil is best for the club and can lead us back to the Premier League.”

Redfearn, who is Cellino’s fourth appointment since taking over and who led Leeds to a 15th-place finish in the Championship, was appointed as head coach in November last year on a rolling 12-month contract.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.