Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Lebanon, Algeria, Egypt Register Coronavirus Deaths

FILE PHOTO: A woman wears a protective mask following an outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) while riding a metro on a line Shubra al-Khaimah to Tahrir Square, on the outskirts of Cairo, Egypt March 10, 2020. REUTERS/Rania Goma

A third Lebanese man has died from the coronavirus, Lebanon’s Health Ministry said Thursday.

The 79-year-old had cancer, it said.

According to the state-run National News Agency the man's immune system was impaired.

Local media reported that the virus was transmitted to him from the first man who had died in Lebanon earlier this week.

The Health Ministry said the number of infections stands at 61.

Outside of Iran, only Iraq, Egypt and Lebanon have recorded deaths from the virus in the Middle East. Iran has one of the world's worst death tolls outside of China, the epicenter of the outbreak.

Algeria has registered its first death from the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced on Thursday. 

No further details on the death were provided in the ministry statement, cited by the official APS press agency.

Another five new cases of COVID-19 have been recorded, bringing the total number of confirmed cases on Algerian soil to 24, the ministry added.

A 25th case -- and the first registered in the country -- concerns an Italian who tested positive in February but who has since left Algeria.

Of the five new cases announced on Thursday, two are Algerians who had been in France.

Egypt reported on Thursday 13 new coronavirus cases, which included one person who died, the Health Ministry said.

A 60-year-old woman had died in a hospital, the ministry said in a statement.

Sudan stopped visa issuances and flight services to eight countries including neighbor Egypt and Italy, a government statement said.

Sudan will also halt bus trips to Egypt, the statement said.

Iraqi Airlines announced on Thursday it would stop all flights to India and Lebanon over the coronavirus outbreak, the state news agency reported.

The statement from the company added that evacuation flights from India will be excluded from this decision, and March 15 will be the last day for Iraqis in Lebanon to return.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.