Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
John Patrick Kierans & Ferghal Blaney

Leaving Cert 2020: Education Minister Norma Foley explains errors and what happens next

The Education Minister has explained how coding errors led to thousands of students receiving wrong Leaving Cert results.

Norma Foley began her briefing on the "extraordinary errors" by stating that no student will be disadvantaged by the mistakes.

The problem was discovered last Wednesday, but only came to light publicly today.

The first issue arose over a line of code which was incorrect.

The Minister said that the line, one of 50,000, related to Junior Cert results, which were included as part of the calculated grades system.

Under the scheme, a student's core subjects - English, Irish and Maths - were meant to be included alongside their two best non-core subjects.

Under the error, some students had their worst two subjects included.

The second mistake surrounded CSPE, which was supposed to be excluded from results, but was actually included.

A staggering 6,500 students received a lower mark, and will now receive a higher grade.

A total of 7,200 grades were affected.

Students who received a higher grade than they should have will keep their original result.

Ms Foley said that the Department of Education is working with the CAO to see how students can enter a course that they should have been offered originally.

Those affected will be contacted by text message.

Ms Foley apologised to all students on behalf of the department.

Taoiseach Micheal Martin had earlier told the Dail that the problems were 'technical' and were related to coding.

He said that two mistakes were confirmed, the first of which were found by external consultants.

The second issue was discovered by further checks by the Department of Health.

It is understood the coding errors relate to Junior Cert results, which were included as part of of the calculated grades system.

Some 6,000 students are affected.

Labour leader Alan Kelly dropped the bombshell query in Leinster House just before 1pm.

He was angry that the Government didn’t reveal it first, that it had to be forced out of him on the floor of the Dáil.

Mr Kelly said: “If I didn’t ask you about this, we wouldn’t be talking about this.

“You’re going to make sure that people who have been offered places are demoted.

“This is one of the worst days I’ve ever spent inside it here, its just appalling for the students.”

The Taoiseach in reply said that other political parties or their spokespersons hadn’t been told because the priority was to tell the students first.

The affected students are being contacted this afternoon and a special hotline is being opened this evening.

The Department of Education and Skills has put in place a dedicated helpline and email address to answer queries from students.

The helpline number is 01 8892199 and the email address is LC2020@education.gov.ie .

The helpline will be open today from 4-7pm and tomorrow from 10am-5pm.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.