Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Euronews
Euronews
Gavin Blackburn

Lawyers for Brazil's former president reject coup allegations in final court statement

Lawyers for Brazil's former President Jair Bolsonaro denied coup charges against him during their final defence in a Supreme Court trial over his alleged attempt to stay in power after losing the 2022 election to current President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

The lawyers argued late on Wednesday that no solid evidence had been presented to prove that Bolsonaro acted against Brazil’s democratic institutions or incited others to do so and said the fact that he allowed the presidential transition to proceed contradicts the basic allegation that he plotted to thwart it.

"This is evidence that eliminates the most essential of the accusatory premises," they said.

The former president and other defendants were required to present their final arguments by Wednesday. This marks the final procedural step before the trial concludes, which is expected by the end of the year.

Supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro participate in a caravan to protest his house arrest order by the Supreme Court in Brasilia, 4 August, 2025 (Supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro participate in a caravan to protest his house arrest order by the Supreme Court in Brasilia, 4 August, 2025)

A panel of five Supreme Court justices will now decide whether Bolsonaro and his allies are guilty.

If convicted of attempting a coup, Bolsonaro could face up to 12 years in prison. Combined with other charges, he could spend decades behind bars.

Even if convicted, Bolsonaro can appeal the decision to the full Supreme Court.

Brazil's top court on elections has already barred the far-right leader from running for office until 2030, ruling that he abused his authority by undermining confidence in the country's electoral system.

Bolsonaro has been under house arrest since 5 August.

Justice Alexandre de Moraes, who oversees the case, said Bolsonaro violated precautionary measures by spreading content through his three lawmaker sons.

People take part in a demonstration to protest former President Jair Bolsonaro's Supreme Court trial, 3 August, 2025 (People take part in a demonstration to protest former President Jair Bolsonaro's Supreme Court trial, 3 August, 2025)

Last week, De Moraes eased the restrictions, allowing unrestricted family visits.

The case has gripped Brazil as it navigates a trade dispute with the United States.

Bolsonaro has received support from US President Donald Trump, who has called the prosecution a "witch hunt" and linked his decision to impose a 50% tariff on imports from Brazil to Bolsonaro's legal troubles.

Prosecutor General Paulo Gonet submitted his final arguments in July, citing extensive evidence of a conspiracy against Brazil's democratic institutions.

He said that includes handwritten notes, digital files, message exchanges and spreadsheets allegedly detailing the plot.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.