Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Football London
Football London
Sport
Bobby Vincent

Latest Tottenham transfer rumours: Vecino offered, Hojbjerg exit hint, Vertonghen update

Jose Mourinho is preparing for his first summer transfer window in charge at Tottenham Hotspur.

Mourinho took over from Mauricio Pochettino earlier in the campaign and has effectively inherited the Argentine’s squad.

However, the coronavirus pandemic is likely to have a huge impact on how much even the richest clubs can spend during the window.

Alasdair Gold's Facebook Live Tottenham Q&A

With that being said, here are the best Tottenham-related transfer rumours from today.

Vertonghen may not play again for Spurs

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen may leave the club before the end of the season, according to a report in The Times.

Vertonghen’s contract in north London expires at the end of the month and he is unlikely to sign a temporary deal with Spurs until the end of the season, according to the report.

The Premier League have previously stated they want the future of each player, whose contract is set to expire, to be decided a week prior to June 30.

The Belgian defender is said to have already told the Tottenham board that he will be ending his eight-year stay with Spurs once his current deal is up.

Matias Vecino offered

Tottenham have been offered the chance to sign Inter Milan midfielder Matias Vecino, ahead of their rivals Arsenal, the Daily Star claim.

When Christian Eriksen moved to Inter from Spurs in January, there was understood to be potential for Mourinho’s side to sign Vecino then, but it never happened.

However, it seems Spurs have been given another chance to sign the £18m-rated Uruguay international.

Premier League rivals Arsenal and Everton are also said to hold an interest in the 28-year-old, but Spurs’ relationship with Inter could help them in this scenario.

Hasenhuttl hints at Hojbjerg exit

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has sparked speculation over Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg’s future, with the midfielder linked with a move to Tottenham.

Hasenhuttl has admitted the Saints should look to avoid letting players go into the last year of their contract and risk losing them on a free transfer once it expires - something Hojbjerg will be doing next season at St. Mary’s.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in action for Southampton against Crystal Palace. ((Photo by Jack Thomas/Getty Images))

“I think we should avoid letting players go without a transfer fee… so it’s not good to go into a last year with only a one-year contract, especially when you are a young player with a big future.

"So, this is not an ideal situation,” the Saints manager said to BBC Radio Solent.

The Danish midfielder has been at Southampton since moving from Bayern Munich in 2016. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.