Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dublin Live
Dublin Live
National
Mark O'Brien

Latest report finds 'significant risks' remain at Dublin fostering service

A new report has found "significant risks" remain at a Dublin fostering service due to "poor governance and management".

The Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) has this morning published the findings to their follow-up inspection of child and family agency, Tusla's Dublin South Central area

Last January, HIQA found major non-compliance in five out of six standards assessed.

Their latest report found children remain at risk of harm due to a backlog in referrals for preliminary enquiries and initial assessments.

The area covers Rialto, Inchicore, Ringsend, Rathmines, Rathfarnham and areas to the south west of the city including Ballyfermot, Cherry Orchard, Clondalkin, Rowlagh, Palmerstown and Lucan.

The Pobal 2016 deprivation index cited some areas within the catchment as being "very disadvantaged" and "extremely disadvantaged".

The follow-up inspection was carried out over five days in March 2019.

Inspectors acknowledged there had been improvements in decision making procedures and referral processes, risks remained due to waiting lists at all stages of the referral process.

The report states: "Social work team leaders and social workers were more confident in the lines of accountability and responsibility within the child protection and welfare service and were clear on the process for managing cases as well as waiting lists.

"Nevertheless, significant risk remained. At the time of this inspection, as with the previous inspection of the areas child protection and welfare service, the area continued to operate waiting lists for children and families at all stages of the referral process, including significant waiting lists for preliminary enquiries.

"Children and families whom in many cases waited lengthy periods for the completion of preliminary enquiries which concluded that assessment of protection concerns was required, waited again after this stage of the process to be allocated to a social worker for required work / assessment to commence.

"In addition, the quality of safety planning remained a significant risk across both services."

Tusla Chief Operation Officer, Jim Gibson said the agency accepted the findings of the report.

He added: "From the outset we want to reassure the public that where a child is at immediate risk, they receive an immediate and protective response which was reflected throughout the report.”

Service Director, Patricia Finlay, said since the inspection, a number of initiatives to address the shortcomings were underway or have been completed.

These included; the screening and prioritising of cases awaiting allocation, the creation of six additional posts to help tackle waiting lists, the hiring of a new Principal Social Worker to lead safety planning training and additional oversight meetings to monitor serious concerns and allegations that have been raised.

HIQA has sought bi-monthly updates on the progress of these initiatives within the area beginning June 1.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.