
A LANDSLIP beneath a newly extended terrace overlooking Newcastle's Cowrie Hole has blocked Shortland Esplanade as City of Newcastle clean-up crews work to clear tonnes of mud blocking the beachside road.
The vegetated steep incline between the road and an extension to No 1 Ocean Terrace gave way some time on Saturday night, apparently without the homeowners realising.
Neighbours said they were woken at about 5.30am by the flashing red lights from fire brigade units that attended the scene.
Ocean Terrace is a group of six brick terraces built side by side and dating from the late 19th century.
The landslip is under a modern deck and extension that was embedded into the hill.
City of Newcastle's development application tracker show the original extension DA was lodged in late 2014, with modifications lodged in 2016, 2017 and 2019 and final approval granted in March last year.
The landslip has eroded under the extension with piping and foundations visible from the road.
The owners said they understood the public interest but declined to comment.
A number of nearby properties in Newcastle East are midway through either construction or renovation but all other sites appeared intact this morning.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark: newcastleherald.com.au
- Download our app
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on Google News