Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Abigail O'Leary

Landlord of pub where 22 punters got coronavirus admits he was 'complacent'

A landlord admitted he was 'complacent' after 22 punters caught coronavirus from his packed pub.

Custodio Pinto runs the Crown and Anchor in Stone near Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Health officials responding to the incident reportedly traced 1000 people who needed to be tested after visiting the pub between July 16 -18.

They have now confirmed the incident led to 22 confirmed cases, with 15 from Staffordshire and seven from Stoke-on-Trent, and more than 60 of their contacts have been identified and are self-isolating for 14 days.

Eyewitnesses described the pub as being "packed in like sardines" as up to 200 punters gathered there at one point.

Follow all coronavirus updates on our live blog here

Taking to Facebook to express his regret, Mr Pinto said: "First and foremost, I would like to express my deepest regret for all the anguish, disruption and sadness that the events that occurred in the Crown and Anchor last month have caused to so many.

"I have lived in Stone since 2001 where we have raised our three children and it has always been nothing but the greatest pleasure to be part of this fantastic community.

"However, on July 18, I accept that I was simply not strong enough in enforcing the Government's Covid-19 secure rules, despite detailed preparation according to their guidelines.

Mr Pinto took to Facebook to express his regret (Kennedy News/Custodio Pinto/Facebook)

"I regret I was complacent in enforcing these rules with the customers."

Dr Richard Harling, director of health and care at Staffordshire County Council, said: "They are from all over the place – 13 in Staffordshire and three in Stoke on Trent.

"Five are from the Stone area, with three from elsewhere in Stafford Borough.

"There are another three in Stoke-on-Trent, three in the Staffordshire Moorlands and two from Newcastle-under-Lyme.

"We are now having conversations with all the cases to make sure they are self-isolating - and to identify their contacts and have conversations with their contacts to make sure they are also self-isolating."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.