Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Sage Swinton

Lake Macquarie excavation believed to be in search of missing teenager Gordana Kotevski

Forensic police and archeologists combed a Lake Macquarie property on Wednesday, May 20, reportedly searching for the remains of missing teenager Gordana Kotevski.

The operation comes as police had earlier this this month foreshadowed an excavation after items were seized in relation to the 30-year cold case.

Ms Kotevski was last seen being forced into a vehicle on Powell Street while walking from Charlestown Square on the night of November 24, 1994.

Lake Macquarie police commander Superintendent Tracy Chapman told reporters on May 5 that police had seized several items in searches stemming from a redoubled effort to uncover the fate of one of the country's highest profile abduction victims.

"We would be looking for anything that may be important to the investigation, that may have been used in the commission of the crime, and indeed we'll be looking for Gordana's remains," Superintendent Chapman said.

Nine News in Newcastle reported on Wednesday that forensic officers and archeologists had been digging in a Lake Macquarie backyard.

Police told the Newcastle Herald that the investigation into Ms Kotevski's disappearance was ongoing under Strike Force Bambil, but said she had not been found.

"More than 30 years on, detectives remain committed to the investigation. As recently as April 2026, searches were conducted at several properties in the Newcastle area," a police spokesperson said in a statement on May 19.

Witnesses reported hearing a struggle between the 16-year-old and at least two males before a white ute was seen leaving the area, when Ms Kotevski was forced into the vehicle in 1994.

Despite extensive investigations, she was never found.

A 2003 coronial inquiry had concluded Ms Kotevski was dead, and that her death was likely the result of foul play.

Superintendent Chapman said investigative techniques and technology had improved since her disappearance, allowing police to revisit and re-examine things they might have looked at previously.

In 2022, the reward for information about the suspected murder increased to $1 million. It remains on offer for information that leads to an arrest and conviction.

In early 2025, detectives from Lake Macquarie Police District, with the assistance of the NSW Crime Commission, started Strike Force Bambil to re-examine the case.

Superintendent Chapman said investigators were determined to uncover the truth behind Ms Kotevski's disappearance.

"Gordana was only 16 years old when she was taken, and for over three decades her family and loved ones have lived without answers," she said.

"Police firmly believe Gordana did not disappear willingly."

"We know people have information. It may be something that seemed insignificant at the time, or something someone has kept to themselves for years."

"That information could be the missing piece investigators need."

Police continue to urge anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.