Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Special Correspondent

Labour surveys to start in March: Santosh Kumar Gangwar

Union Labour Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar. File (Source: The Hindu)

Four separate surveys on migrant workers, domestic workers, employment generated by professionals, and the transport sector, would be started in March 2021 and completed by October, Labour and Employment Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar said on Wednesday.

Mr. Gangwar was speaking at the release of a stamp commemorating the centenary of the Labour Bureau, which will carry out the surveys. A message by Prime Minister Narendra Modi was also played at the event, in which he said the four labour Codes being implemented by the government would protect the workers’ interest and lead to increasing productivity, a Labour Ministry statement said.

The Minister said the Labour Bureau had conducted the first-of-its-kind Quarterly Employment Surveys of enterprises that would be relaunched in a new format soon.

“The Bureau has recently been entrusted with four all-India surveys on migrant workers, domestic workers, employment generated by professionals, and transport sector, which will be launched by early March 2021 and the results of these will be available by October 2021,” Mr. Gangwar said.

He said authentic data on employment in organised and unorganised sectors was needed for policy-making. The lack of data on migrant workers had been highlighted in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown that led to the exodus of workers from cities to their home towns and villages earlier this year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.