Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Tom Duffy

Labour appoints former minister to tackle 'problems' identified by Max Caller report

The Labour Party has appointed a former government minister to lead its review of the serious issues identified by a government inspection of Liverpool City Council.

Max Caller's 70 page report into the workings of the council's regeneration, planning, highways and property management functions contained blistering criticism of the local authority.

The public document also made a number of direct criticisms of Mayor Joe Anderson and the culture that surrounded his tenure.

Last week Robert Jenrick, the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, told the House of Commons that commissioners will now oversee part of the council's work in response to Mr Caller's findings.

Labour has now announced that former minister David Hanson, who is from Liverpool, will lead the party's review.

Mr Hanson will be assisted by Judith Blake, the former Leader of Leeds Council.

Mr Hanson has held a number of portfolios including at the Ministry of Justice, before being promoted to Police and Crime Minister under Gordon Brown.

Labour has appointed former Minister David Hanson to lead its review of the issues raised by the Caller report into Liverpool City Council (Handout)

In Opposition, he was a shadow minister under party leaders Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn.

A Labour spokesperson said: "Labour has appointed former Minister David Hanson to lead its review of the issues raised by the Caller report into Liverpool City Council. He will be assisted by Judith Blake, the former Leader of Leeds Council.

"Our priority is the people of Liverpool. We will do whatever it takes to tackle the problems set out in the report. And we pay tribute to the vast majority of hard-working, decent and honest people working at the council and as elected officials whose dedication will help to pull us through this difficult time."

Speaking in Parliament on Wednesday, Local Government secretary Robert Jenrick said "many millions of pounds have been wasted " as the report was published.

Mr Jenrick told the House of Commons: "It paints a deeply concerning picture of mismanagement, the breakdown of scrutiny and accountability.

"A dysfunctional culture, putting the spending of public funds at risk and undermining the city's economic development."

Find out what is happening near you by adding your postcode below:

Steve Reed, the Shadow Communities and Local Government Secretary, responded to last week's announcement by telling the House of Commons that Labour accepted “in full” the findings of the report into Liverpool council and would establish its own review.

He said: “The Labour Party intends to appoint a senior figure to lead a review and reassure the people of Liverpool that the Labour Party takes these concerns seriously and will take action against anyone in our ranks who is involved in wrongdoing."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.