Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Matthew Kelly

Labor turns up the heat on PEP 11 gas decision

No way: An application to extend an offshore gas exploration licence has attracted widespread opposition between Port Stephens and Sydney.

Resources Minister Keith Pitt says he will not rush a decision on a controversial proposal to explore for gas off the coast between Sydney and Newcastle.

Two months ago, following the expiration of Petroleum Exploration Permit 11 (PEP 11), the minister said he "would prefer the decision was made soon" on an application by Advent Energy to extend the permit for two years.

That was before Prime Minister Scott Morrison effectively killed off the application in March when he publicly indicated he did not support the project.

Regardless, the project, which Advent argues represents a "potential solution to substantial gas shortage issues" still needs to formally assessed.

Shortland MP Pat Conroy, one of the seven MPs between Port Stephens and Sydney who have publicly denounced the project, has urged the federal government to make a formal decision on the project.

"The current licence was due to expire on 12 February. At that time, the federal Minister for Resources Keith Pitt - who has the final say on whether the permit will be extended - said that he'd "prefer the decision was made soon. Well how soon is "soon"," Mr Conroy said.

In response Mr Pitt said on Monday that he would not be rushed.

"I have always said I will give this decision the careful and detailed consideration it deserves. I won't rush that process to suit Mr Conroy's political games," he said.

READ ALSO:

The licence is currently in a rollover period meaning exploration can continue while the minister makes his decision.

"It feels like every man and their dog has said no to the extension of PEP 11," Mr Conroy said.

"Labor is against it. The community is against it. The NSW Government is against it. Several federal Liberal MPs are against it. Even the Prime Minister confirmed he is against it during a recent visit to the Hunter region."

During a visit to Newcastle earlier this week former Resources Minister Matt Canavan revealed he had previously supported the project.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.