Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Max McKinney

Labor calls for 'transparency' about Myuna Bay replacement sports centre

WHERE'S THE PLAN: Labor MP Lynda Voltz believes the government should have by now provided an update on the new Lake Macquarie sports centre.

State Labor's sport spokesperson Lynda Voltz has slammed the NSW government for refusing to release details about the sport and recreation centre proposed for Lake Macquarie, calling for "transparency" about its location and facilities.

The Auburn MP says she has been denied documents about the centre, which is proposed to replace the Myuna Bay camp that closed last March and was finally killed off in December, by the Office of Sport.

Acting Sports Minister Geoff Lee said last year a replacement would be built nearby funded by Origin Energy, but gave limited detail about the centre beyond it being a "like-for-like" facility.

Ms Voltz says the local community and former centre's users deserve to know what is being planned.

"It is disappointing that the NSW government is refusing to release maps of the two potential sites for the [new centre] that were requested under a Freedom of Information request," she said.

"Transparency has been an ongoing problem with the Office of Sport when it comes to the Myuna Bay centre, which they closed in the week after the NSW election.

"It was clear that the NSW government was aware of a proposal to close the camp before the election but failed to disclose that to the public.

"What this government should immediately do is release the maps for the potential sites and reassure the public and the local community about which sports will be located in the new facility and which ones won't.

"It is the least the public deserve."

READ MORE: Editorial: Myuna Bay sports centre closure hard to fathom

EARMARKED: The potential sites revealed by the Herald in December.

The Newcastle Herald revealed in December Origin Energy had offered up land on the edge of Lake Eraring and two sites had been earmarked as potential centre locations.

It is not known if those sites are still under consideration, but emails obtained by Ms Voltz show the Office of Sport engaged planners to assess the suitability of land as far back as last May.

"We have started the process of considering alternative options for the Myuna Bay Sport and Recreation Centre," the Office of Sport's executive director sport and recreation Anne Gripper said in an email on May 24.

"We have engaged Ethos Urban to undertake some initial planning for us."

The Herald contacted the office of Mr Lee, who remains acting sports minster, for an update on the progress of the plans but questions were referred to the department.

TALKS: Acting sports minister Geoff Lee and Lake Macquarie MP Greg Piper.

"The Office of Sport is currently in discussions to identify a preferred location for the new sport and recreation centre which will be built at no cost to the NSW taxpayer," a spokesperson said.

"All of the sites that are being considered are located within close proximity to the existing site.

"Once selected, the Office of Sport will be engaging with the local community, stakeholders and local council on the design and offerings of the new facility."

Lake Macquarie MP Greg Piper said he was "comfortable" with how planning for the centre was progressing.

"I'm not overly concerned at this stage," he said.

"I'm confident that it is advancing quite well.

"There's two parcels of land there that they are assessing for suitability.

"I'm hoping they come to their conclusion soon."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.