
Kyle Rittenhouse has been found not guilty on all counts in his homicide trial, after four days of tense jury deliberations. It’s the latest stunning development in a trial full of shocking moments.
On Thursday, Judge Bruce Schroeder barred MSNBC from covering the trial inside the courthouse for the remainder of the trial, after a freelancer journalist was stopped by the Kenosha Police Department for allegedly running a traffic signal behind a bus used to transport jurors to the courthouse. Police said they believed the man tried to photograph the bus.
NBC News said in a statement that the journalist did not intend to contact or photograph the jurors and is cooperating with authorities. Police said “there was no breach of security regarding the jury, nor were there any photographs obtained”.
Earlier this week, Mr Rittenhouse was urged to sue the media for defamation by Nicholas Sandmann, the former Kentucky high school student who became embroiled in controversy in January 2019 after he was filmed in an apparent confrontation with a Native American activist while wearing a MAGA hat.
Mr Rittenhouse, 18, was facing five felony charges for shooting three men in the aftermath of police brutality protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin on 25 August 2020. The most serious charges were first-degree homicide for the deaths of Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber.
Follow the latest updates live:
To receive our free breaking news alerts direct to your inbox click here