Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Kuwait Won't Extend Suspension of Flights, Will Open Borders

The Sheikh Jaber Causeway is seen in Kuwait City on June 21, 2020. (Getty Images)

Kuwait will not extend its decision to suspend flights beyond Jan. 1 and will open its land and sea borders the next day, the cabinet said in a statement on Monday.

Last week, Kuwait had suspended all commercial flights and closed its land and sea borders until Jan. 1, the government communications office said, over fears about a new, more contagious coronavirus variant.

After a cabinet meeting on Monday, in which the health minister confirmed that no new variants of coronavirus have been discovered in Kuwait until this date, the cabinet decided it will not extend the suspension of flights or keep its borders closed.

The cabinet decided to open the land and sea ports daily, as of Saturday Jan. 2, from 9 am to 3 pm.

These decisions will be reviewed according to developments regarding the spread of coronavirus, the cabinet added.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.