Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

Kuwait's Emir Accepts Resignation of Cabinet

Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah. (Reuters)

Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad al-Sabah has accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah and his cabinet, state news agency KUNA said on Monday.

The cabinet will continue in a caretaker capacity until the formation of a new government, KUNA said.

The government had resigned last week days after lawmakers submitted a motion asking to question the premier over issues including the makeup of the cabinet.

The resignation of the cabinet, formed on Dec. 14, had been expected after the move in parliament earlier this month.

The prime minister had been due to be questioned at a parliamentary session on Jan. 19.

The motion to question Sheikh Sabah, who has been premier since late 2019, was submitted by three MPs on Jan. 5 in the first regular session of a new assembly that was elected last year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.