Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Japan News/Yomiuri
The Japan News/Yomiuri
Politics
Kensaku Fujiwara / Yomiuri Shimbun Staff Writer

Kono, Pence in sync over measures against N. Korea

WASHINGTON -- Foreign Minister Taro Kono agreed with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence to maintain pressure and sanctions on North Korea to urge Pyongyang to take specific steps toward complete denuclearization. The two came to the common understanding during their talks at the White House in Washington on Friday afternoon.

"Based on the lessons from the past [in which dialogues with North Korea did not lead to denuclearization], maximum pressure needs to be maintained," Kono was quoted as telling the U.S. vice president, adding that the issue of abduction of Japanese nationals by North Korea should be taken up as an agenda item during the planned U.S.-North Korea summit talks to be held by May.

Pence responded that Japan and the United States are with each other 100 percent on policies against North Korea and that the United States will closely cooperate with Japan.

The foreign minister then met with H.R. McMaster, U.S. President Donald Trump's national security adviser. McMaster told Kono that a nuclear-armed North Korea cannot be tolerated and that cooperation between Japan, the United States and South Korea is important.

Earlier in the day, Kono met with U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and the two also agreed to maintain pressure on North Korea until it implements specific steps toward denuclearization.

"There are no contradictions [between Japan and the United States] on the future course of responses [on North Korea]," Kono told reporters after a series of meeting with U.S. officials.

Kono also said he requested McMaster and other officials to exempt Japan from new U.S. import restrictions on steel and aluminum. "[The U.S. side] now understands the Japanese situation to a great extent," Kono said.

Kono also met with outgoing U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson at the State Department and thanked him for his cooperation.

Read more from The Japan News at https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.